Ceramic Lion on Plinth for Leeds Fireclay Co. c1920
This lion was a promotional tool for the Leeds Fireplace company at the end of the great Victorian age of industrialisation. It features on each side of the plinth that the lion is sitting on, the areas in which it operated, Africa, Australia, Canada and England. Plus MARMO, which the lion is made from. It has various bits of wear and tear which are commensurate with its age.
13cm high x 11 cm deep x 8cm wide
The Leeds Fireclay Company, whose main works were at Wortley, Leeds in West Yorkshire, were amongst the major manufacturers of glazed architectural ceramic products such as faience, terracotta, bricks and tiles. The company was founded in 1889 as an amalgamation of several concerns - including the Burmantofts Fireclay Company who manufactured the distinctive ox-blood faience facades of Edwardian London Tube stations. Many Edwardian and mid-twentieth century buildings used Leeds products, including their 'Marmo' artifical marble finishes. The company petered out in post-WW2 years, formally closing in c1957
We spend all of our time searching for and inspecting interesting objects. We view thousands of items a week in search of the special objects that deserve a pride of place in your home. Objects are available for inspection at the Bloodworth Bellamy store in Paddington, on the gateway to Sydney's famed Eastern suburbs (home to world class beaches) and Sydney Harbour (home to the Sydney Opera House).